A Pediatric Dentist is a professional dedicated towards oral healthcare of children from the time of the infancy all the way to their teen years. They have the qualification and experience to care for the teeth of children along with the mouth and gums.
Pediatric dentists are dentists who have qualifications and experience to treat oral hygiene and healthcare issues for children at a very young age. Children start developing teeth in the first six months after their birth, and by the age of 6 or 7, they lose their first teeth set, which of course are later replaced by new permanent ones. If proper dental care is not provided to these kids, children later in their lives might experience oral decay and develop diseases which can cause them to suffer oral complications and pain that could last forever. Nowadays, children are often subjected to different types of mouth infections at a very young age. Those infections are fives times more common among children compared to asthma and seven times more than fever.
Does pediatric dentist receive any specialized training?
A pediatric dentist has specific credentials and training that makes them perfect in handling children oral issues such as:
- Four years of training in dental school
- Two years of additional residency training in infant dentistry. It also includes teens and children with special oral needs.
What to expect from a pediatric treatment?
A pediatric dentist provides oral care in a comprehensive manner. The treatment includes:
- Fluoride and cleaning treatments which are a part of their preventive dental care. The treatment also includes diet and nutrition recommendation.
- Oral health examination of infants which includes assessment of risks for both child and the mother.
- Gum disease management and other conditions as well which includes short frenula, pediatric periodontal disease, mucoceles and ulcers.
- Repairing tooth defects and cavities issues.
- Providing adequate care for dental injuries such as displaced, knocked-out and fractured teeth.
- Habit counselling such as thumb sucking
- Early treatment and assessment for correcting improper bite and teeth straightening
- Diagnosing oral issues which include different diseases and conditions such as congenital heart issues, hay fever, attention deficit, hyperactivity disorder, asthma and diabetes.
“Pediatric Dentists – Ideal oral care for your children.”
There is a huge difference between small adults and children, and that difference lies in their capacity to be patient. Children don’t always cooperate during an oral treatment, and therefore, such treatments must be undertaken by experienced professionals.